Sunday, February 20, 2011

Fire in our neighborhood

One of the benefits of living on a golf course is seeing some awesome sunrises. I took this picture on Friday morning. We had some fog rolling around as the sun was coming up. The picture doesn't really do it justice. As I watched, it became more awesome by the minute as it rose in all its glory!
Yesterday, we had a grass fire in our neighborhood on the golf course. Thankfully it was not near enough to us to cause us to leave our home. We live on "Hole #5". The fire was near hole #14. We are in a drought here in NC. Normally this is our rainy season. The fire was started by someone carelessly tossing a cigarette out. The grass here is very dry right now and it was windy yesterday. It didn't take much to start the fire. I don't have any pictures of the actual fire, as you can well imagine, it was blocked off so the fire crew could put it out. They actually asked some people to leave there homes. 3 houses had siding damage. All totaled there were between 25 and 35 acres burned before they were able to get it under control! That's quite a bit!
Well, on a much happier note, I have started my college bound daughter's quilt! Here are 12 of the blocks so far. I have 7 more to go. ( I finished one more while I was uploading all these pictures!) There are 20 blocks total I need to do. My goal is to get all the rest of the blocks done today so my daughter can place them where she likes before I sew them together. Gotta get her involved in her quilt somehow! :0)
I have not gotten to go to IKEA yet. :( My books are still on the floor in boxes. One of these days I will get there so I can finally have a place to store my books! I think I told you that it takes 2 hours to get there from here. By the time you drive there, do your shopping and drive back. Its a full day.
The next pictures are from my quilt bee's show and tell. I hosted the meeting this past Wednesday. Above you see some cute little triangle bags or pouches. Perfect size for lots of things!
Here is a bright table topper.
A table runner.
A Cheerful little quilt!
This is kinda fun! I've never seen this pattern before. It is a four patch turned into a gingerbread man! It's appliqued onto the background or blanket stitched.
This is a raffle quilt.
There are three of us in the group doing the Civil War quilt along from Barbara Brackman's blog.
I'll try to remember to show you mine next time I post.
This is another fun quilt! Something that is dear to my heart. Recycling! This quilt is made all from Men's 100% cotton shirts purchased from "GoodWill"! The maker added a couple of fun bright scraps which adds just the perfect punch. Wonderful! I think she said she spent only $6.oo for all the shirts she bought. I'm not sure how many she got. ( It might have been 6 shirts at a $1.00 a piece?)
Oh darn! I thought I had a picture of the back also. Sorry. Let me tell you this though. The blocks on the front were the sleeves of the shirts. The back was made totally from the larger pieces of the back of the shirts!! What a bargain!!!
Last but not least, is a baby quilt made from all left over scraps from other quilts. Who would have thought that you could put pink and orange together??? Not me... But I really love it!! :0)

5 comments:

  1. What a post full of lovely projects....just loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I just found your blog and really enjoy it,I just posted of a quilt that my Hubby and I bought yesterday during a Prim/Colonil trip we took together and I to quilt and I REALLY LOVE your quilts. I am so happy to find a blog that I see homemade BEAUTIFUL quilts, MY first quilt that I made for our bed took my 2 years and I enjoyed every minute of it!!

    I joined your blog, I hope you come by my blog and check out the quilt that I bought yesterday and join my blog as well. I will be following you blog. It is my cup of tea!!!! LOVE IT!

    Have a great night,
    Blessings,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your daughter's quilt is looking really good.
    so was show and tell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! There certainly is a lot going on out your way! Love that recycled shirt quilt top. I saw that IKEA has those book shelf cube things you want on sale recently. I donated a lot of books to our library book sale fundraising event recently. Wish I had a quilter's group like you have there. Seems like a nice time with good friends. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your daughter's quilt is going to be gorgeous Karen, can't wait to see it finished. Thanks for sharing the projects your group is working on.

    ReplyDelete