Thursday, March 4, 2010

Raspberry Coffee Cake!

My daughter is home from college this week on her Spring Break. I've been trying to spend as much time with her as I can before she goes back to school. One of her favorite breakfast treats is this Raspberry coffee cake which I made this morning! I have added the glaze to it today but it is very good without the glaze also! I will share the recipe with you. (Kim B., I think this might be an excellent recipe for you! :0) )
Here it is before I put the glaze on. This is a low calorie and low fat recipe!

Raspberry Coffee Cake

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 cup unsweetened raspberries (I have only used fresh but you can use frozen; if using frozen do not thaw)
1 Tbsp. sliced almonds

Glaze

1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
1 tsp nonfat milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

1. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. Combine the egg, yogurt, butter, and vanilla; add this to your dry ingredients just until moistened.
3. Spoon two-thirds of the batter into an 8 inch round baking pan ( a pie or cake pan works great for this) coated with a non-stick cooking spray ( or crisco if you don't have spray).
4. Combine the brown sugar and the raspberries; sprinkle over batter.
5. Spoon the remaining batter over the top.. (It won't cover completely, which is OK).
6. Sprinkle with almonds.
7. Bake at 350 F for 35-40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched and is golden brown.
8. Cool for 10 minutes before removing cake from the pan to a wire rack. ( I usually keep mine in the pan )
9. In a small bowl, combine the glaze ingredients.
10. Drizzle over the coffee cake.
11. Serve warm or at room temperature.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does! :0)

8 comments:

  1. Oh yummy! That looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'm gonna have to try this one!
    hugs and friends,
    shell

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to make this for Tom this Sunday morning ~ what a nice surprise that will be. I can use some of my substitute ingredients and see how it works, but should be no problem. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Gosh but I wish we could have coffee and a slice together...wouldn't that be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds delicious- thanks for sharing the recipe. Enjoy the time with your daughter- they are gone way too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cake looks delicious and I love that it's low fat! I am definately going to make that one. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummmmy! Wish I could depend upon my self control. If I could - I'd make this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cake looks delicous, thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so delicious, thanks for sharing the recipe, I need to try that one.
    Enjoy your time with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks really yummy.
    My daughter is on spring break too.

    ReplyDelete